International participants


Visas and Passport Requirements
You will need a current passport to enter the United States. Depending on which country you are coming from, a visa may or may not be required. Visit the U.S. Department of State for more information. Visas are required for most travelers to the U.S. Individuals from countries that are required to have a VISA to enter the United States are advised to apply for VISA as early as possible in advance of their travel date. In some contries the process takes at least 2-3 months and sometimes longer.

If you need a visa, you must go to your closest U.S. visa-issuing post for an interview as part of the application process. During this interview, you can expect a Department of State consular officer to:

  • Review your visa application and supporting documents
  • Collect your biometrics (up to 10 digital fingerprints and a digital photograph)

The Department of Homeland Security Website fully outlines required documents/credentials. Canadian citizens and citizens from Visa Waiver Program (VWP) countries (currently, 35 countries; see list of countries) can come to the U.S. without a visa provided they meet certain passport requirements. Travelers from all VWP countries must obtain approval through the Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) prior to traveling to the U.S. Visitors may apply online for travel authorization via the ESTA web site at

As part of the arrival process into the U.S., all international visitors will experience US-VISIT biometric procedures (collection of digital fingerprints and photographs) prior to their entrance.


  • Driving in the United States is on the right-hand side of the road.
  • The use of seat belts is required by law.
  • A driver's license and automobile casualty insurance are required by law.
  • Most expressways are "limited access," which means that you may only enter and exit at designated points.
  • The speed limit on most expressways is 65/70 miles per hour (mph), or 112 km/hr. Speed limits for in-town driving are generally 30 mph (48 km/hr) or 45 mph (72 km/hr). Speed limit signs are posted on most roads, but are given in miles per hour only. Pay close attention to posted limits or you could be ticketed for speeding.

Ohio  Law Requires:
Tipping Practices
Tipping is a standard practice in the United States for most services. As a general rule, tip approximately 15% for restaurants, taxi cabs, and other services. If you receive assistance at the airport or hotel with your luggage, tip $1-2 USD per bag.

Electrical Information
The electrical current in the US is 120/220 AC. Toledo is 120 AC

Toledo tends to be very informal but there are few places that require formal attire. Dress in the classroom tends to be business casual or country-club casual. We invite you to dress for your own comfort. The temperature in the classrooms is electronically controlled, but since individual "comfort levels" vary, it's a good idea to bring a sweater or jacket with you. Be sure to take the weather into consideration when packing.

Below is a chart of the temperature averages in Fahrenheit and Celsius.


Average Low (°F / °C)

Average High (°F / °C)


63° / 20°

83° / 30.6°


68° / 18.9°

87° / 28.9°


66° / 15°

84° / 25°


Click for the latest Toledo weather forecast.

Click for the latest Toledo weather forecast.

Cultural Notes
Most people, men and women, greet each other with a handshake. Introductions usually include both first and last name. You will find most Americans friendly and helpful.  Please feel free to ask for directions or assistance. It is not uncommon for strangers to ask one another for directions to a specific location. However, we do not recommend accepting rides from strangers. Always exercise common sense and caution when walking alone at night in the city or around campus.

The legal drinking age in the United States is 21 years of age.

Because of the public health issues surrounding second-hand smoke, smoking is not curtailed in most public buildings and restaurants. In Toledo as in the State of Ohio, smoking is not permitted in public buildings and restaurants.
  • Most larger restaurants will have designated smoking areas, but smaller ones may not.
  • Since most workplaces in America are smoke-free, Americans are used to going outside to smoke, and you should feel free to do the same.

The largest meal of the day is generally in the evening, with the mid-day lunch usually consisting of sandwiches or other lighter fare.

  • General business hours in the United States are usually 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
  • Most stores are open between 10:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m., with department stores at malls open until 9:00 p.m.
  • Restaurants are generally open until midnight, but call ahead to confirm their hours.
  • Bars and pubs are open until 2:00 a.m.

Religious Services
Toledo  has a wide variety of places of worship for many different faith traditions. Please ask at your hotel front desk for a list of local options.